I'm Rachel, a 30-year-old mother of two, military wife, science fiction and fantasy writer, cancer survivor, yogi, dog mom, eldest (and therefore awesomest) sibling of three, former biologist, book nerd, and general goof.
I was born and raised in Austin, TX: home of the weird and strange and eclectic. I spent my formative years attending concerts in seedy bars and music festivals in the park. For college, I moved to Galveston, TX where I earned a BS in Marine Biology, and subsequently waited tables for a while (every grad's dream!). I met my amazing husband and have been following him around the country in his military career ever since, hopping between being a biologist, teacher, and finally author.
I've been a self-published author for five years and have nine novels currently available. My books are known to have realistic and complex characters, AMAZING worlds, and plot twists galore.
And obviously, I'm a HUGE book nerd (and proud to be one!). Recent reads that knocked my socks off:
1. Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor
2. The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
3. Ready Play One by Ernest Cline
4. Illuminae/Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
5. Reincarnation Blues by Michael Poore
6. The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay
7. Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab
8. ACOMAF/ACOWAR by SJM
9. The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancey
10. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
For PitchWars 2017, I entered my totally finished, polished, unpublished manuscript of House of Birds and Beasts. It's a 115k word fantasy romance novel in the vein of The Star-Touched Queen and An Ember in the Ashes.
You'll like this book if you like:
1. Complex family units
2. Believable, time-won romance
3. Amazing magic systems and worlds
4. Characters who show different kinds of strength
5. Feeling all the feels
6. MCs who aren't beautiful and perfect
7. Books that pass the Mako Mori and Bechdel Tests
8. Worlds with diverse populations and cultures
9. A different kind of magic
10. Real, messy relationships
A big thank you to all mentors, mentees, and the team over at Brenda Drake for putting together this awesome event!